West Nile Virus
August 17, 2023
The Garland Health Department (GHD) received a report of laboratory confirmed presence of West Nile Virus (WNV) in mosquitoes collected in the 4000 block of Gatewood Rd. 75043 (GA25). GHD will immediately initiate adulticide spraying throughout the surrounding area on August 17-18, weather permitting, to minimize the risk of human infections. Spraying will be conducted between the hours of 9 p.m. and 6 a.m.
Thus far in 2023, no WNV human cases have been confirmed in the City of Garland but the presence of the disease in mosquitoes means that transmission to humans is possible, so residents are urged to take preventative measures.
MOSQUITO TRAP LOCATIONS
Positive 2023 WNV+ mosquito trap locations are as follows:
- 1700 block of Randolph Dr. (GA23), 6/21/23
- 600 block of Apollo Rd. (GA08), 6/28/23
- 1300 block of N Jupiter Rd. (GA07), 6/28/23
- 6400 block of Vista Oaks (GA27), 6/29/23
- 3000 block of North Sprint court (GA11), 7/12/23
- 4400 block of Colgate Ln. (GA14), 7/12/23, 7/19/23, 7/26/23
- 4000 block of Hidalgo (GA24), 7/13/23
- 1800 block of Concho Dr. (GA17), 7/19/23
- 5700 block of Indian Hills Dr. (GA09), 7/19/23
- 2500 block of Wood Dr. 75041 (GA02), 7/27/23
- 3000 block of Big Oaks Dr. 75044 (GA13), 8/2/23
- 200 block of Fairview St. 75040 (GA19), 8/3/23
- 4000 block of Gatewood Rd. 75043 (GA25), 8/16/23
The Garland Health Department (GHD) is currently trapping at 27 selected locations per week.
mosquito trapping and spraying map
Citizens can view a mosquito trapping and spraying map depicting areas where WNV has been detected and subsequently sprayed to reduce the adult mosquito population.
The City of Garland uses Envion 30-30 (PDF) for adulticiding from a truck-mounted, ultra-low volume spraying unit.